Wed 300823 09:01 AM GMT Hello, Linux Mint OS...; and, goodbye to Windows 10 Pro OS...!

Wed 300823 09:01 AM GMT Well, it's hello, Linux...; and, goodbye to Windows...! Accidentally, I seem to have totally 'deleted' Windows 10 Pro...; and, now, I find myself running the full version -(no longer 'trial' version, anymore)- of Linux Mint OS..?!


--------------------------------------------------------

Table of contents:-

-> Oh no, accidentally, deleted Windows 10 Pro OS/Operating System...?! So, had to install Linux Mint OS, instead.

-> What is the experience like using Linux Mint...?

-> Conclusion

--------------------------------------------------------

-> Oh no, accidentally, deleted Windows 10 Pro OS/Operating System...?! So, had to install Linux Mint OS, instead.

I already knew that it was an extremely 'dangerous' thing...to go messing around with installing this/that/and, the other OS/Operating System.

But, also, I wanted to be able to 'experiment' with learning to use different flavours of Linux OS, nevertheless: Linux Ubuntu/Linux Mint/-etc.; especially, as I was, currently, into studying how to do Bash Shell Scripting programming.

-----

So, anyway, after downloading a Linux Mint OS image/and, then, burning it onto a DVD RW disc; so, I switched off the computer...and, booted up, again, this time into Linux Mint OS being run directly from off the DVD.

This means, you can get to 'test' out using the Linux Mint OS being run straight from off the DVD drive...without your computer otherwise being affected.

Whenever you choose to quit from using Linux Mint OS...; you just take out the DVD...; and, Windows 10 Pro boots up, again...normally, just like usual.

-----

But, on the Linux Mint initial boot up screen...I also saw there a rather 'tempting' icon...which said, 'install Linux Mint' onto a drive...; and, so, get to be able to run it from there.

I own a few external drives...which I keep 'plugged in'...so, that's exactly what I decided to try.

(You see running Linux Mint from off DVD can, sometimes, be 'slow'...you can hear the DVD spinning and spinning around in the system tray...; and, other times, it's just 'buggy'...meaning, Linux Mint OS just completely 'locks up'...?! You have to pull out the power chord in order to get the computer to reboot.)

-----

Man, what a really big mistake I made to try doing a full Linux Minx installation...and, onto the 'wrong' drive...?!

1> The Linux Mint full installation I attempted had gone wrong somewhere...; as the installation message stated...something had gone faulty...; and, they were preparing to send an 'error report'.

2> When I took out the Linux Mint DVD out of the computer system tray...to see what would happen, next...; would Windows 10 Pro boot up, as usual...? Answer, no! Instead, I saw a message stating...cannot find any Boot Up file...; so, now, I got a totally 'dead' computer...?!

In the end, I decided there was only one thing left to do, now; -(I don't have any Windows 10 Pro disc/license)-; and, that is, boot up from the Linux Mint DVD...and, from there...do a full Linux Mint install onto my main hard drive.

Which is how I, now, find myself running Linux Mint OS...and, I'm no longer a Windows 10 Pro user, anymore.

F***(believe me, is putting it mildly, I lost tons of data: folders/files/paid for programs/-etc.)!

But, on the other hand, at least, downloading Linux software is both 'open source'/and, FREE...; and, also, there is tons and tons of software you can get to use/select from...which both downloads/installs easily...with just 'one' simple click.

--------------------------------------------------------

-> What is the experience like using Linux Mint...?

My experience of using Linux Mint so far is...

- It's works as 'fast' as is using Windows
- The opened Windows each have the same: 'minimize/maximize/close' buttons being seen top right; and, they can be either moved/resized by using the mouse.
- All of the software is FREE (haven't had to pay for anything, yet)
- Didn't need to install any anti-virus/Linux Mint, comes with a FREE Firewall
- There is a Linux software updater you can run...so that any bugs can be fixed/as well as, newly available software packages can be downloaded
- It's easy to find software to run(tons of choices...60,000+...so, there is a 'strong' temptation is to go fill up your hard disk drive...looks like I might need to buy an even bigger hard disk to hold it all)
- Also, you can both 'download/install' software with just 'one' quick and simple straight forwards 'click'
- You can set up a Desktop background/choosing different themes...and, you can have this background 'change', automatically, at different time periods...every day/hour/minute/-etc.
- I'm using Firefox web browser...which is what Linux Mint came installed with...; and, I had to re-sign in to all of the previous web sites which I tend to use, regularly: eBay/Amazon/Yahoo/iCloud/online banking/-etc.; web browser passwords can be, automatically, 'saved'...so, you don't need to keep on re-typing it each time you visit the same web site/-etc.
-I'm going to try downloading other browsers, as well, soon.

As you can tell from all that I've just written above...; so far, the change has not been too bad...; nor has it been all that totally drastic...as I did originally think...? Meaning, using Linux Mint OS...is pretty much like using Windows...in fact, the UI/User Interface does pretty much look very similar...there is a taskbar at the bottom of the screen...with icons on either side...; together with a leftmost 'start button' marked: LM/and, 'clicking' there opens up a menu...which allows you to select software/or, power off/-etc.; and, on the rightmost side of the screen there is the time/date...you can customise it to show: minutes/hours/seconds...12/24 hour clock...day/-etc.

--------------------------------------------------------

-> CONCLUSION

Yea, I think, if everything keeps on going along so 'smooth'...; then, I might just wonder to myself...why the hell didn't I just change to using Windows Mint OS far sooner...rather than later.

Bloody hell, using Linux is ever so incredibly 'fast'...as quick as lightening...; and, I have multiple windows all opened together, at once!

 












 

Comments